Monday, January 25, 2010

See Kate Conquer: How do you "give back"?

**Last Chance: Faga-Meyer Family, email me at kateisfun@gmail.com with your mailing address to receive your copy of Half the Sky!! I really want to give this book to you!***

Hey Folks, Happy Monday to you!

Here in Sweden, there's lots of talk about the earthquake that has shaken Haiti to its core; I can only imagine that for those of you in parts the world closer to this catastrophe, the cries for help and greatness of need is even more loudly heard.

Keith and I have decided that we really want to do something different to help, something that is a bit out of the ordinary for us. So, we are working with a local cafe to throw a Haiti Benefit to raise money for some organization that is at work there (still to be determined). I am really excited at the prospect of this event; I love it when people come together for a good cause and have fun doing it! But, I've never taken the reigns on something like this, and I"m feeling a bit intimidated. In fact, part of me wants to back out and just say "never mind!" But that would make me a quitter. And, I don't want to be a quitter.

So. Have any of you ever thrown a benefit of sorts? Any tips for me? Any good ideas on "entertainment" or music? (These areas are not my strong suit -- food, on the other hand, I've got nailed!) How do you charge people a set price or more of a "donations accepted" thing?

Another question for you: What are some ways that you help in times of need or "give back" to your communities? I am pretty sure that there are lots of simple, easy ways to do it that don't take a lot of time or effort (usual deterrents for people... like me...).

Let's have a conversation in the comments section... I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

No comments: