Monday, December 1, 2008

Artist Profile - Camille Darrington of FinnFancies

Every Tuesday on D&L Day 2 Day will be profiling a creative soul.

Today's profile comes to us from Jerome, ID. I first met this fellow creative Idahoan through a friend and quickly learned the she is a fellow etsian (handmade artist on etsy.com)! Our connection grew when we decided to be booth buddies at a recent show.

It is with great joy and excitement that I present to you our first artist on profile, Camille Darrington of FinnFancies!





1. Where are you from originally?

I am originally from Rigby, Idaho. I lived there for quite a while until I moved away to get married! Eventually we plan to move back.


2. Where do you get your creative inspiration?

I have a habit of looking at everyone's purse everywhere I go. If I'm out shopping and standing in a check out line...you can bet I am eye-balling the purse of the lady standing in front of me.

Sometimes the different fabrics really start getting my wheels turning. I'm always thinking of a way to appropriately place them in the design of the bag.

I don't like patterns, so just setting down and drawing a picture of what I want a bag to look like works best for me. Then I have a bad habit of setting around for an hour or two deciding the best way to put it together. So far this method has worked out wonderfully for me!

3. How long have you been sewing?

I have been sewing since I was a young girl. I've gone from blankets, to pillows, to quilts, to raggedy anns, and now onto bags. My bag lady career just started this last spring.


4. What are your favorite materials to work with?

My favorite materials are definitely designer fabrics. I'm addicted... I would also be a lost cause without fusible fleece and interfacing. Some other favorites are ribbons and zippers. Ribbons seem to add that special touch and who doesn't love a good zipper pocket to hide things in!!


5.Who are your creative mentors?

My Father, Mother and Sister have always been good mentors for me creatively. I grew up making wooden crafts and painting with my father for hours on the weekends. My mother taught me the key...which was to sew... without that talent I would be so lost. My sister is also a very good resource for me. She makes her own crochet patterns and is always designing/creating something.


6. What do you enjoy doing when you're not creating?

When I'm not creating something, I enjoy just spending time with my husband and our little dog. Taking time out from sewing and just relaxing is such a nice thing to do, especially when you have pricked your fingers a thousand times that day, or sliced the end of your finger off with the rotary cutter.


7. Would you say your environment (where you live, work, play) influences your creative
process? If so, how?

I truly believe that the environment I live and work in really influences my creativity. You never know when a good friend will suggest an amazing idea that you never though of.

Once again I must reference the checkout line and checking out everyone’s purses. Seeing what different people carry around, and the style and functionality of different bags is really an inspiration to me. It really helps me draw up perfect designs for my bags.


8. What's the best way to purchase your items?

The best way to purchase a bag of your own is online through my website, finnfancies.etsy.com. I do a lot of custom orders, and the easiest way to contact me for a custom bag is to e-mail me, finnfancies@live.com, so we can go over all the details. Its really very simple, and you are guaranteed get your bag exactly how you want it!

This concludes our first Artist Profile. Check back Thursday for our first ever "Beat 'Em or Join 'Em" post, where you the reader will vote on whether a certain style or design choice is hot or not.

No comments: