Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Holistic Approach to Business

I am currently in the middle of Michael E. Gerber's The E Myth Enterprise. If you are a business owner (or considering becoming one) I implore you to beg borrow or steal a copy. As I have mentioned several times recently, I am on a quest to set up successful procedures and solidify a vision that will carry D&L to the next level. I am only a couple of chapters in but Gerber's view has already influenced the ways in which I want D&L to grow. The following statement may be simple but is too profound not to share:

"A business only exists if people want it to."

This may seem like a given but pause for a minute and let it sink in. "A business only exists if people want it to." Provided this statement is true, business should not only be about the owner (person) or only about the customer (person). Instead, business should be about creating the best case scenario for everyone from owners to employees to suppliers to customers. I instinctively gravitate toward a community oriented business but I've never been able to articulate what that would look like. This statement pulls it all together for me.

For a business to operate at this level, it MUST value people. While sad to say, it's been my experience that an often over looked group in business are employees. This problem has been on my mind a lot lately. I want my employees to feel invaluable. I want to create a place where people love to come to work. A place full of community and creative energy. A place with well designed workspaces that people are inspired to spend time in. I realize I won't be financially able to pay employees their dream salaries at first, however as I work toward that goal, I am excited to explore other ways to honor them.

If you have a good idea of how to value people in the workplace please share it with us by leaving a reply in the "comment" section below.


1 comment:

Marty Thomas said...

I'm Interested in your thoughts.. Does 37signals or E-myth have the right philosophy for business start-ups today? www.purlem.com/blog/?p=38