Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Artist Profile: Jeanette Forney Van Wicklen

Today's artist profile comes to us from Austin, Texas. I first met Jeanette when she ordered a custom lampshade for a floor lamp for her biz. She has been great to work with and, I gotta say, I love love love her coastal style! Without further ado, Jeanette Forney Van Wicklen.




1. Where is your business based out of?


"jvw beach" & "jvw home" are both based out of Austin, Texas , from a "barn" garage!
We currently sell online only but are looking into other retail "avenues" .
Van Wicklen Design operates from my home office.


2. Where are you from originally?

San Antonio, Tx.


3. How long have you been a designer and/or business owner?

I have been decorating for others, since 1999. Van Wicklen Design started in 2001, as a freelance decorator. Later, I became Certified in 2002. "jvw beach" and "jvw home" started in 2008.


4. Where do you get your creative inspiration?

Hard question to answer because I get inspiration from so many things!....alot of times I get inspiration from my favorite magazines such as Coastal Living, Cottage Living, Country Living, etc., visiting Showhomes, visiting home decor stores & eyeing the vignettes, new fabrics, Round Top/Warrenton/Marburger Farms, etc. "antique week" in Texas (so many creative people there!!), or through my fave blogs.


5. What does your creative process entail?

If it's decorating rooms: Usually starts with fabrics or it could be starting with something special a client wants to keep in the room or the style of the house....... then the room details such as unique patinas on furniture, different buttons, trims, accessories, art, architectural pieces, come into play....it's not always in a specific order.
For furniture & accessories on the site: I research alot of magazines and trade articles for the going trends on furniture finishing/paint colors. I LOVE to hunt for unique hardware to update antiques & to make them different.
For custom pillows/bedding: just going into a fabric store or eyeing my own library of fabric books gives me inspiration for a start.... then I add in fun buttons/trims or monogramming.


6. Would you say your environment (where you live, work, play) influences your creative process? If so, how?

Absolutely, because I live in an older home from the 1800's. My husband and I both are constantly discussing & collaborating new ideas of what we'd love to do next with this old house....if money were NO object, right?? Also, being in Austin, Texas is a mecca of creative people, so you find inspiration around every corner. I love to spend a lot of time at the beach and this gives me the inspiration for the coastal website.


7. Who are your creative mentors?

Dana______, a designer that used to design at Cowgirls & Lace, in Dripping Springs, Texas. (can't remember her last name!) I learned a lot about designing/creating from her. Dana was also a GREAT support to me when I was just starting out . I'm not sure where she is now because she retired from decorating at Cowgirls & Lace.


8. Tell us about the one project you would say you are most proud of.

This is a hard choice.... but I would have to say decorating my sisters' antebellum historical home in Mississippi. (We always have a lot of fun decorating her different homes but this one involved a lot of custom window treatments/bedding/pillows and antique hunts.)


9. What do you enjoy doing when you're not creating?

Being with my husband and family, traveling, Pilates, blogging, water sports, all kinds of fishing, hiking, and just being at the beach!


10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Hopefully moving to the beach, after our youngest son graduates!



For more info on Jeanette and her awesome products please visit her website: http://www.jvwhome.com/

1 comment:

Michelle C said...

Love her style! Would have loved this type of thing if I had a girl to decorate for.