Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Artist Profile: Lidia K. Anderson

Today's artist profile comes to us from L.A. Glass. I love how Lidia's designs capture and transform light. Her pieces are truly unique! To browse or buy, please visit her etsy site: LAGlass.etsy.com.




1. Where is your business based out of?


Powell, Ohio


2. Where are you from originally?

Sydney, Australia


3. How long have you been an artist and/or business owner?

I have been an artist for 35 years. I started my business, L.A. Glass Studio, about 27 years ago.


4. Where do you get your creative inspiration?

Creative inspiration comes from daily meditation and also from young children.


5. What does your creative process entail?

My creative process entails observing the energy around me as well as watching, and listening to children and their conversations with each other.


6. Would you say your environment (where you live, work, play) influences your creative process? If so, how?

I believe my environment has everything to do with the creative process. I find inspiration in listening to classical and new age music. I am also with young children every day in an afternoon kindergarten class and find they are the teachers. They have very simple thoughts which reminds me to stop being complicated when I'm designing.


7. Who are your creative mentors?

My creative mentors are other artist friends whose talent is in a different medium, e.g. metal sculptors, traditional oil painters, jewelers, and many other wonderful talented people. I admire all that they create and I am appreciative of their talent.


8. Tell us about the one project you would say you are most proud of.

I believe that it would be a restoration of 18 leaded windows at a chapel in Ohio. This was a massive project that I just wasn't sure at first if I could actually do it and after completion, which was about 18 months, I felt I could do anything. 7 of these windows had to be constructed from scratch which was very challenging. This project allowed me to work in the leaded and glazed technique of stained glass construction which was different from the copper foil method which I was more comfortable with making.

As a result of this project I was able to design and fabricate another church window during the past couple of years utilizing the same leaded technique. This one was very exciting because it allowed me to design in a contemporary style which I love the most.


9. What do you enjoy doing when you're not creating?

I don't know that I ever stop creating. Seems non stop. I would have to say thought, that having fun with friends and reading are my other passions.


10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

10 years older and even more accomplished with my art. I don't see myself doing anything else except for what I love, creating my art, for me, and for the enjoyment of others.


No comments: