Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Artist Profile: Rachel Wall of Twilight Visions

It's that gift giving time of year and I can't think of a better handmade gift than a lovely piece of jewelry from Twilight Visions. Here's a little bit about owner and designer, Rachel Wall.



1. Where is your business based out of?

At the moment I’m based out of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. That changes every couple of years with how much I move though!


2. Where are you from originally?

I was born in Napa, California but grew up and spent a large part of my life in Alaska so I consider that home.


3. How long have you been an artist and/or business owner?

I’ve always been an artisan, but didn’t start selling my work until about nine years ago at festivals and galleries. I’m very new to the world of online selling though, and have had a shop on Etsy for about a year.


4. Where do you get your creative inspiration?

I get a lot of my inspiration from ancient tribal arts and crafts, nature, nostalgic styles, bohemian and everywhere else in between. I feel most inspired after going to a museum. Inspiration is everywhere.


5. What does your creative process entail?

This question is always the hardest to answer. My process usually changes with the medium. It usually starts with the color I want to work with or certain piece I want to make something with. I’ll hold it in my hand for a while and envision a design. I then try different combinations of complimenting that original piece until I come up with a basic theme. After that my hands do the rest and there have been many times I end up with something completely different than my original intent.

When it comes to the other mediums I work with it’s usually impulsive. I love photography and working with acrylics and textiles as well.


6. Would you say your environment (where you live, work, play) influences your creative process? If so, how?

Yes I would say my environment influences my work. Since I move a lot I get exposed to different styles and personalities. I have been inspired by people’s personalities which is always fun.


7. Who are your creative mentors?

I would have to say every artist out there. We all mentor and inspire each other!


8. Tell us about the one project you would say you are most proud of.

So hard to pick just one so I’ll have to go with the pieces where I have upcycled. I like the challenge of coming up with a piece that had a prior life. I have made some really great pieces with vintage components. Many times those pieces have components from 4 or 5 different pieces of vintage jewelry. I’m in the middle of one right now that could possibly be one of my favorites. I have collected enough vintage leaf brooches to finally do it!


9. What do you enjoy doing when you're not creating?

I love the outdoors, hiking, traveling, eating good food and spending time with my man, friends and my cats. I’m a bit of a movie buff as well so I love watching obscure movies and discovering new independent filmmakers.


10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

This answer is so not going to be an expected one. In ten years I see myself as a biologist working in conservation. I deeply care about the environment and just went back to school last year to pursue a degree in biology. I was inspired while living in Pittsburgh and working for non-profit environmental lobby group to travel this path and I’m well suited for it. I will always create and am sure I’ll get even more inspiration as a biologist.


No comments: