Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Artist Profile: Jessie Collins of 2gorditas

I am pleased to introduce to you Jessie Collins of 2gorditas. Her treats are no doubt tasty and have plenty of artistic flair. While her work is geared more toward El Dia De Los Muertos, they would also make a fun Halloween treat. Enjoy!




1. Where is your business based out of?


I am located on the beach in White Rock, British Columbia, Canada & at my sister's house in Tsawwassen, British Columbia


2. Where are you from originally?

I was born in White Rock, but have lived in: Ottawa in Ontario, Montreal in Quebec, Edmonton in Alberta, Bathurst in New Brunswick, All over British Columbia and have spent a lot of time in Baja, Mexico.


3. How long have you been an artist and/or business owner?

About a year


4. Where do you get your creative inspiration?

Mexican art & cuisine


5. What does your creative process entail?

looking at pictures to get inspirations and color combinations. Hours looking on-line at chocolate molds and thinking how to make them special and different!


6. Would you say your environment (where you live, work, play) influences your creative process? If so, how?

I find where I've traveled to influences me more! I'm very fortunate to live on the beach, but find it can be distracting when trying to work, especially on sunny days.


7. Who are your creative mentors?

Definitely my sister, Jane of Janebonbon


8. Tell us about the one project you would say you are most proud of.

That would definitely be my first craft show! I had people coming up to me and saying "you're 2gorditas!" They had seen my work on Etsy and knew I was in a local craft show. It was very inspiring!!


9. What do you enjoy doing when you're not creating?

I enjoy walking on the beach collecting sea shells and beach glass. One day I'll find a use for the thousands of shells and many pounds of tiny sea glass, but for now I have a sea shell garden!


10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Hopefully working less at my real job, making lots of chocolates, still walking on the beach, but being able to do it more often!

No comments: